pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:39:41 -0600

John Schinnerer wrote:

I favor a bioregional approach in general.
That is, defining location by a combination of topographical and
biological descriptions.
Continent, bioregion, sub-region, city/town/village(s) where relevant.

We have an opportunity here to re-seed a bioregionally based understanding
of place and subvert the nation-state pathology that currently dominates.

For that reason I would prefer *not* using nation and state designations
and boundaries as primary location indicators. In the DB, sure, but not
as primary location indicators. Use bioregional location specifiers as
primary information for locales.

While I agree with the sentiment expressed I don't believe that bioregions have been mapped out sufficiently or consistently to be accurate for location purposes. I know that I live in a bioregion but depending on who I talk to it has different nomenclatures.
Nation/state designation is totally contrived and a major cause of planetary strife, but it is an accurate geographical locator as is latitude and longitude.
$.02 + worth,
Scott