pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:54:26 -0700

Richard Archer wrote:

Hosting for 4 GB of data and 40 GB of traffic runs to about $75

per month. I can't imagine this project generating anything like
that much traffic, especially since it needs to be written so as

Hah! There you have it. You have real vision for this project, eh?
Have you any idea what we hope to do with this project and where we
want to it to go and how much data and graphics we hope to accumulate?

to minimise bandwidth use to make it usable from developing
countries where internet access is still slow and expensive.

That too.

If it comes to the crunch, I'd be willing to donate hosting myself.

Thanks but I vote no to that.

And if it comes to the point that PIW needs to buy hardware, it
should most definitely be retained as an asset by PIW and not
given away!!

Absolutely not necessary. The value of free ibiblio hosting is far beyone the
cost of a server.