pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:59:24 +1000

At 4:07 PM -0700 26/8/04, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

>there's no guarantee that the project will end up on ibiblio. I will not
>participate in this project if it is not hosted permanently on ibiblio.

Lawrence, when you first brought up hosting of Zope at ibiblio
you said that we should present them with a proposal and that
they would consider setting up a Zope server to meet our
requirements, probably within 6 months.

Why are you now so gung ho about buying them a server when they
have already said that they would consider providing the hardware
pending evaluation of our requirements?

Why not present them with a proposal and see where it leads?

There is no need to rush into any decision on hosting the live site.
There is a good 6 months (probably more like a year) of design,
development and testing still to be done before we have anything
worth going live with.

And regarding the ibiblio scenario...

What about the concerns John S raised about the structure of the
hosting on "our" machine at ibiblio? What if the level of access
UNC graciously allow us on our own hardware is inadequate to
allow us to set up and run ZOPE and other software in our desired
configuration?

What if ibiblio decide ZOPE is something they no longer want to
maintain or offer as a hosting platform?

What happens if ibiblio decide at some stage in the future that
hosting this project is not something they want to continue with?

> I do not support paying for commercial hosting ever.

Please describe for me the functional difference between paying for
commercial hosting and buying hardware and then giving it away?

>I need an answer from Stephanie and/or the group, if consensus is
>preferred, regarding HG's role in funding a Zope machine now.

My opinion is that spending money on hardware is a complete waste
of scarce resources. Especially when that hardware is being given
away and not even retained as an asset!

...R.