pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:12:17 -0600

Chad Knepp wrote:

Let me counter my own proposal with another:

Start on ibiblio ASAP with the Eden engine/dataset and build a RDBMS
agnostic python cgi ala 3) from August 11 post subject: 'platform
revisited'.

My reasoning(s): I like programming, so it's not like I'll have less
fun. Although we will need to lower some of our feature expectations
it may be possible to forward port to Zope3 (much better architecture
than the current Zope 2.7.2) in the future if we get enough more
funding. I think I'm a pretty 'kick butt' programmer so even w/out
Zope we can have a good product. Zope created some neat mixin classes
like Interface that we can use outside of zope easily. I suspect it
will make its way into the standard python modules pretty soon.

Chad, I want to thank you for your proposal to go to IBIB. as is. I understand that Lawrence's passion about IBIB often seems contrary to the logic of these endless comments. I understand that passion and I have stated my reasons for wanting IBIB. This proposal gives us a way to get going and allows us to dedicate our meager finances to programming which is the critical piece, much more critical than a new platform at the moment. I am sure that we can raise money for the next iteration of Zope in the near future and if you are half as good as I think you are I believe we can make a seamless transition to that platform at that time.

If you and R. Morris agree to go with IBIB as is then the rest of us should support that with what ever talents we have. I personally agree to help Stephanie raise the money to see the programming through, and will find independent funds for whatever software you require to do your job.

I think that at least Lawrence and I and perhaps others could do more good on another list where we could start soliciting those individuals who hold the knowledge we need to make this a world class db. I can start by contacting the many botanists I have met around the world who are true "hortasexuals" looking for divinity in unravelling the secrets of the plant world.

As far as I'm concerned we have beat this dead horse long enough, and your proposal offers a way to start today.

I also appreciate your ability to speak with clarity and directness, it is rare enough in a flaming world.

Scott