pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:42:05 +1000

At 12:24 PM -0500 27/8/04, Chad Knepp wrote:

> > Start on ibiblio ASAP with the Eden engine/dataset and build a RDBMS
> > agnostic python cgi ala 3) from August 11 post subject: 'platform
> > revisited'.

If you (Chad) and John S both believe Zope is going to be faster,
more flexible and more fun to develop in, then that's what PIW
should adopt. You two will be doing most (all?) of the work with
the code, and you should therefore have the right to work within
your preferred development environment.

I've had a look at Zope and while I don't like python (whitespace
is NOT syntax!!!) I can see where you're coming from. It's a very
feature-rich environment for developing this type of site.

Personally I don't buy into Lawrence's assertion that ibiblio is
essential to the success of this project. And I don't believe
that Lawrence's participation is essential either, although his
many years of experience with pc and putting things online would
certainly be welcome.

Most strongly I believe that restraints of the type Lawrence is
imposing on this project can only reduce the chance of producing
a successful application at the end of the day. It is not in any
way necessary at this stage to restrict our options to hosting
in a particular place!

My preferred course of action would be for Chad begin development
on John H's server in Zope with the intention in the long run
of either hosting with ibiblio (on their hardware, not a machine
we've bought and given away *sheesh*) or seeking further funding
for hosting.

Hosting for 4 GB of data and 40 GB of traffic runs to about $75
per month. I can't imagine this project generating anything like
that much traffic, especially since it needs to be written so as
to minimise bandwidth use to make it usable from developing
countries where internet access is still slow and expensive.

If it comes to the crunch, I'd be willing to donate hosting myself.

And if it comes to the point that PIW needs to buy hardware, it
should most definitely be retained as an asset by PIW and not
given away!!

...R.