pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[15][8.24.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[15][8.24.04]
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:53:09 +0000

Aloha,

> > John S. asked if getting an ibiblio account for the project was on
> anyone's
> > task list. I,F"m not sure if this needs to be done until we are
> certain that
> > we are going with Ibiblio, correct? Nevertheless, I added it to your
> task
> > list Chad, is that ok?
>
> I'm ok being tasked with this but it doesn't really need to happen
> until we are actually going to do something on ibiblio.

My thinking was that if we had one, you and/or John H. could hack on it
and find out exactly what we could and couldn't do for ourselves and see
if it will suffice or not.

> I'm pretty sure they would not give us root on this box as they
> specifically said they were 'not in the collocating business' in an
> earlier message. This means we are entitled to whatever services they
> are willing to provide. The $5k+ server entitles us at least to Zope.

But to what amount of zope?
Our very own complete instance, with 'zope root' privileges?
Or a virtually hosted slice of a shared zope instance?

A shared virtual slice of zope would not IMO be adequate, since we're
all about building custom products in python - and especially in the
long run if we actually do start getting very complex and getting
significant traffic.