pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:18:14 -0700

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Let me counter my own proposal with another:

Start on ibiblio ASAP with the Eden engine/dataset and build a RDBMS
agnostic python cgi ala 3) from August 11 post subject: 'platform
revisited'.

An advantage of starting on ibiblio is that we would have access to enough
disk storage and bandwidth
(ibiblio pays hundreds of thousands of $$ for that each year) to mount
auxilliary services for us and
the public to use while we are developing and testing the DB software. This
would include, within a website, mailing
list(s), wiki, weblog, forms, email cntact, archives, etc. It was said
previously that we shouldn't go public until the software is
completed. I think we would be safe going online before this with a website and public list to build enthusiasm, participation, maybe donations and so folks can follow progress in anticipation of rollout day (PIW Skunkworkx).