pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:07:38 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Chad Knepp writes:
> I wrote on 8/25:
> > I propose that we use the Zope platform to implement
> > HG/permaculture.info starting on arashi.com. When we have a
> > product available for mainstream use we will either move to ibiblio
> > if Zope is available or purchase hosting services from a commercial
> > provider such as johncompanies. We will continue to seek out
> > funding to procure a server for ibiblio and/or encourage
> > establishment of a Zope platform at ibiblio and hopefully migrate
> > there before the end of the year.

Hey Rich M. and Lawrence! If you say 'Yes, this is what I want' to
the above proposal we will have consensed on another decision. I am

Emphatically NO to the above. There are too many loose ends and unknowns
(hopefully none of the Don Rumsfeld unknown unknown's though), specifically
there's no guarantee that the project will end up on ibiblio. I will not
participate in this project if it is not hosted permanently on ibiblio.
You're welcome to go around me and do what you want but if so I will not
contribute
in any way to permaculture.info.

stretching an assumption that everyone else agrees to this. If you do
not agree to this and I am making an incorrect assumption[:3] (I love
geek jokes) please speak up.

If I hear from Rich M. and Lawrence today I will start tomorrow.

To make all this very simple I will put things out where they may be viewed
properly. I have ofered to loan/maybe donate $2000 to $2500 to help buy the
Zope server for ibiblio.
IF Stephanie will release $2000-2500 from the project grant and a third party
I am in dialog with will donate $2000-2500, we will be able to buy that
machine now and ibiblio will
make it available to us within two weeks. In that event you will be able to
start from scratch there, where you will
be hosted for the long haul. Cost of the machine is $6300-6500. If Stephanie
agrees to do this she can immediately apply
to several known good prospects for further funding which can be used to
replace HG's part of the machine expense.
In the meantime there will likely be adequate funds left to pay for
programmer wages. If the third party can only donate less
than $2000-2500 I may be able to make up the difference; if not at all then I will _consider_ covering the deficit if Stephanie will help do the same by covering half the machine cost. If HG will not contribute at all it would be up to me and the other person to buy the machine and I do not know if we can afford to do this; would have to see about that. I am willing to donate money now but not later.

My position: We somehow buy the machine for ibiblio now and start work there as soon as it goes online (2 weeks from the day they (UNC) receive the money). This makes good sense to me. I need a guarantee that permaculture.info will be permanently hosted on ibiblio. I do not support paying for commercial hosting ever. That probably means buying a machine and putting it at ibiblio now and raising more money for wages later (you may need more than $10K anyway). Any other scenario is unworkable for me and if that is followed I will work on my own projects instead and not contribute further to HG.

I need an answer from Stephanie and/or the group, if consensus is preferred,
regarding HG's role in funding a Zope machine now.