pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[15][8.24.04] UpDate on machine cost, bugzilla, MySQL, etc.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[15][8.24.04] UpDate on machine cost, bugzilla, MySQL, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:16:36 +1000

At 8:06 PM -0700 24/8/04, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

>We would certainly "own" whatever we need of that server plus bandwidth,
>staff time for maintenance, backups, software upgrades, and much
>more on a permanent basis.

At the time this project needs permanent hosting ibiblio might already
have the appropriate facilities. So spending $6k on buying them a server
seems even more wasteful.

>I suppose you've figured out where we would get the money we would
>need to pay for all this, years and years of high bandwidth

Once the code is written it's going to be a mighty impressive piece
of work. Maybe someone like ibiblio would buy and configure an
appropriate machine just to be able to host it!

It just baffles me why you want to donate a machine to ibiblio when
really they should be donating equipment/services to this project!

>heavy traffic hosting, plenty of storage, streaming audio and video and more.

I can't see how streaming video and audio could in any significant
way enhance a database of plants or even generic pc elements.

>What, btw, do you plan to contribute to this project?

For now, some much needed focus.

...R.