pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:16:06 +1000

At 8:04 PM -0700 25/8/04, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

>That could get interesting . I see a permaculture.info wiki containing
>a freeform group of individual user wikipages
>wherein users conform to some predefined format for organizing their
>informaion. As Rich suggested thew database should be able to suck this
>data into its search routines and data infrastructure so that it could
>be an external dataset for the db.

I think that if it is deemed desirable to have this sort of data in the
PIW (we have agreed on PIW as the real name of this project haven't
we?) dataset (and I agree it would be nice) then the database and
interface should be structured to allow entry of this data directly
into the appropriate fields of the database. Especially as Chad already
seems to be planning to set up a peer review system for the data in the
database.

I don't see why people would be willing to enter data into a rigidly
structured wiki but not into the PIW database directly. Especially
since if PIW supports this level of data entry then the interface would
be functionally very similar to a wiki!

>How practical is it to have valuable info intended for the in some
>cases sitting in wikipages - Rich says that XML may make this possible
>even easy. Is this true?

I imagine it would be possible if the wiki was structured in exactly
the right way for data to be exported/imported. But it's certainly
going to be a non-trivial (read: complicated and error-prone) process
and once again I wonder why people would prefer to enter data into a
wiki rather than directly into PIW?

...R.