pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:01:00 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> > But at the end of the day I think the end user will need to be able
> > to define how they want to analyse the data to find relationships.
> > And then it's going to be the quality and breadth of information
> > stored about each object that will really make this database useful.
>
> Yes, exactly, absolutely!
>
> That's why the object model fits so well.
>
> When a plant object "knows" about itself (by having relevant attributes
> with appropriate values), we ask it what we want to know about it and it
> tells us.
>
> Then I can ask all thousands and thousands of plant objects eventually
> in the system questions based on what I need to know, like:
>
> "Who among you is a shade-loving nitrogen-fixing bird-habitat-providing
> coppiceable woody shrub that is hardy to -10F?"

Toot toot! Eden can already answer this pretty well if you leave out
the dashes. Unfortunately coppice isn't in it's vocabulary and isn't
in the 'uses' table so it won't respond to that unless it finds it in
the notes.
<http://galatea.org/cgi-bin/eden?search=+shade+loving+nitrogen+fixing+bird+habitat+coppice+woody+shrub+hardy+to+-10F&button=Search>

BTW Eden will be going away soon. My ISP is moving to a johncompanies
Debian box (we'll be neighbors John H.) and I've elected to be one of
the first/test site transfers... The upside is that the new box will
have Zope eventually.