pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:25:06 +0100

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

John Schinnerer wrote:

edge zones

I would like to use 'ecotone' instead of 'edge'. It's biologcially more correct, geographically/spatially more correct and less likely to mislead newbies. Baffle maybe, but not mislead...we'll just provide a linked definition of 'ecotone' and then they can learn it with a click of the mouse.

"An ecotone is a sensitive transition area between two adjacent ecological communities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecotone

Ecotone is specific whereas edge zone is useful for describing transitional areas between groups of ecosystem
like area between broadacre farm acreage and forest or orchard or vegetable garden or plant nursery.
Glad to know about ecotone.

Hum, not sure if eithers ecotone or edge will do on their own

"plant can be found in an ecotone"
or
"plant can be found in an edge"

both just beg the question which ecotone, which edge, whats on either side?

We've used "woodland edge" for plants on the edge of a woodland,
which at least specifies one side of the edge.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org