pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:17:51 +0000

Aloha,

patterns

Not quite sure how this works with plants. Are there
specific patterns which work with specific plants. An example
would help to work out how to represent this.

I think this is a general category rather than an attribute or attributes.
Collections of attributes imply patterns, such as stacking levels, water requirements, growth shape/habit, etc.

stacked functions

I'm not 100% sure what this is about.

I think this will be implicit in functional data about a plant.
If it has more than one known/identified function (and it better if it's in a PC database... ;-) then it has stacked functions - that is, the one plant (ev. element) performs multiple functions.

edge zones

I would like to use 'ecotone' instead of 'edge'. It's biologcially more correct, geographically/spatially more correct and less likely to mislead newbies. Baffle maybe, but not mislead...we'll just provide a linked definition of 'ecotone' and then they can learn it with a click of the mouse.

Speaking of which, links from terms (especially PC or other technical jargon) to definitions ought to be built in early on.