pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:34:31 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

edge zones

I would like to use 'ecotone' instead of 'edge'. It's biologcially more correct, geographically/spatially more correct and less likely to mislead newbies. Baffle maybe, but not mislead...we'll just provide a linked definition of 'ecotone' and then they can learn it with a click of the mouse.

"An ecotone is a sensitive transition area between two adjacent ecological
communities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecotone

Ecotone is specific whereas edge zone is useful for describing transitional
areas between groups of ecosystem
like area between broadacre farm acreage and forest or orchard or vegetable
garden or plant nursery.
Glad to know about ecotone.