pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes [& permacultureinfo list for the public - time to start it up?)

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes [& permacultureinfo list for the public - time to start it up?)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:47:13 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

The thing about references is that most of our authorship from this
point forth will not be accompanied references other than an allusion
to personal experience. I also do not find a reference to a book I do
not own to be particularly helpful in anyway. Online references could

Actuall is very helpful for those who will accesss those resources but
reliable,
somewhat grass roots peer reviewed anecdotal evidence is excellent and almost
beyond value.

be helpful in the way you suggest, but I think that peer reputation
will be the most widely used mechanism of ensuring authority. I'm ok
including references, but I suspect they will be unused. What do
other folks think?

They will be used and we need a massive array of bibliographic resources,
actually thses should be included in
records for every object in the database if possible; at least add a field
for this.

Since it seems like a hot topic, I have some questions about
relationships as well. Are there a finite number of

I would think you would have loose and tight relationships

In order of tight ----> loose
1) relationships within specific guilds
2) selationships between guilds
3) specific guild to pc system components, i.e. swale, food garden, xeriscape
(preferred environment for growth)

relationships?... for example would 1000 different kinds of
relationships between elements adequately describe things... 100, 500,
2000?

Does this have to be defined? If so maybe set a very high limit (100000?) if
the software will permit that
- useful when exploring microcosms as in relationships that exist within and
without the soil environment
(this might be important when learning about legume us in a guild or confifer
growth in a forest ecosystem)
also cultural details of wild plants in the wild or naturalized, kudzu,
aquatic plants (azolla for instance),
etc.

Would these relationships be one word, several words, a

I thought these relationships would be an unlimited amount of information
containing their own external links that would exist between
"objects" (chickweed & poultry)

paragraph, or what? Also if their are a finite number of Relationsips
is a relationship in our system adequately expressed as "(one or more
elements) has/have 'Relationship' with (one or more elements)"?
sounds like you are talking about a guild when you describe relationship this
way.

These are great topics for discussion in our permacultureinfo public list;
maybe it is time to announce it and add subscribers.
Stephanie: do you want to write the announcement - I will supply you with a
few paragraphs of info on accessing the forum.

Why does large blocks of monocropped volunteer wild mustard/turnip greens &
natural hybrids exhibit massibe insect damage
when scattered individual volunteer plants do not?