pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes [& permacultureinfo list for the public - time to start it up?)

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes [& permacultureinfo list for the public - time to start it up?)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:28:31 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
>
> > The thing about references is that most of our authorship from this
> > point forth will not be accompanied references other than an allusion
> > to personal experience. I also do not find a reference to a book I do
> > not own to be particularly helpful in anyway. Online references could
>
> Actuall is very helpful for those who will accesss those resources
> but reliable, somewhat grass roots peer reviewed anecdotal evidence
> is excellent and almost beyond value.

Yeah, I have a lot more trust in an article signed 'Toby Hemenway' or
'B. Mollison' than a reference to "The Gargantuan Encyclopedia of
Plants". We will only have dead tree references for the core PFAF
dataset anyway.

> > be helpful in the way you suggest, but I think that peer reputation
> > will be the most widely used mechanism of ensuring authority. I'm ok
> > including references, but I suspect they will be unused. What do
> > other folks think?
>
> They will be used and we need a massive array of bibliographic
> resources, actually thses should be included in records for every
> object in the database if possible; at least add a field for this.
>
> > Since it seems like a hot topic, I have some questions about
> > relationships as well. Are there a finite number of
>
> I would think you would have loose and tight relationships
>
> In order of tight ----> loose
> 1) relationships within specific guilds
> 2) selationships between guilds
> 3) specific guild to pc system components, i.e. swale, food garden,
> xeriscape (preferred environment for growth)
>
> > relationships?... for example would 1000 different kinds of
> > relationships between elements adequately describe things... 100, 500,
> > 2000?
>
> Does this have to be defined? If so maybe set a very high limit
> (100000?) if the software will permit that - useful when exploring
> microcosms as in relationships that exist within and without the
> soil environment (this might be important when learning about
> legume us in a guild or confifer growth in a forest ecosystem) also
> cultural details of wild plants in the wild or naturalized, kudzu,
> aquatic plants (azolla for instance), etc.
>
> > Would these relationships be one word, several words, a
>
> I thought these relationships would be an unlimited amount of
> information containing their own external links that would exist
> between "objects" (chickweed & poultry)

As in my reply to Rich A. I was wanting to make it more searchable. I
think both are possible.

> > paragraph, or what? Also if their are a finite number of
> > Relationsips is a relationship in our system adequately expressed
> > as "(one or more elements) has/have 'Relationship' with (one or
> > more elements)"?
>
> sounds like you are talking about a guild when you describe
> relationship this way.

Well I would actually see a guild as a set of these relationships.

> These are great topics for discussion in our permacultureinfo
> public list; maybe it is time to announce it and add subscribers.
> Stephanie: do you want to write the announcement - I will supply
> you with a few paragraphs of info on accessing the forum.

Is it open to subscription yet?

> Why does large blocks of monocropped volunteer wild mustard/turnip
> greens & natural hybrids exhibit massibe insect damage when
> scattered individual volunteer plants do not?

Some of the best looking veggies here at Dancing Rabbit this summer
are various guerilla gardening patches about like a gourd on the
common house wood pile and a patch of sweet corn planted through old
hay out by the soccer field.