pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited - * suggestion for revised project name

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited - * suggestion for revised project name
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:16:30 -0700

John Howe wrote:

The main reason I would opt to make my contributions elsewhere (with
regrets)
if HG isn't done on ibiblio is:
1) Cost, time and trouble if not on ibiblio
2) Its a blind alley as I see it; I can't invest a lot of trust in where
the project might
go/end up if we don't host on ibiblio - I fear intrusion into HG by some
used car salesman
who might get enough control to haul it off to parts unknown to do with it
what he/they will.
For my money it is safe and sound on ibiblio and with NP support from the
Permaculture Institute,
for the long haul. This frees us to work on platform and data acquisition
- which is what we are the most interested in anyway.

I hope that your reference to "used car salesman" is not in reference to
my offer to host Zope until the logistics of ibiblio hosting is
solidified.

Of course not. I referred to some possibility that somewhere along the line
the HG group
got pressured into making a deal with a flybynight "used car salesman"-type
motivated
to coopt our project. I have seen this happen before where a promising
project gets coopted by
a pressure group who subverts its mission to serve their own ends.

I'd like to think that I would have significant contributions to make to
HG over time; that means text data, photos, videos and sound files;
all original stuff from me. I'd much rather be part of a permaculture
_database_ project than just create a permaculture wiki and website.

It would appear to me that there is still some need to solidify the design
of the application currently envisioned and to establish a consensus on
the platform(s). It might behoove us all to revisit the deployment
architecture.

I hope you all can find a way to work on ibiblio.

The primary issue appears to be the serving of content off a NFS store. If
multiple Zope instances access a ZopeDB stored on NFS, then corrupting of
the database is highly likely. A dedicated raid system might be in order,
or researching the Zope architechture to ensure multiple instances of Zope
do not corrupt the ZopeDB.

Is NFS, Network File System?

I would be curious to see how the data-structire will be stored ( what
exactly? ), or perhaps Zope serves as a meta-database on top the core
mysql db? Somethings to reflect upon... maybe reverse store object
references in mysql? Speaking of mysql, which version is in production @
ibiblio?

I will see if I can find out. I have a MySQL account and use it in the
PHPWiki I run.
From the MySQL website referred to in the ibiblio systems info page:
http://dev.mysql.com/
MySQL Database Server
* Generally Available (GA) 4.0.20
* Beta 4.1.3
* Alpha 5.0.0
I would guess that they run (GA) 4.0.20 as that might be the stable release
There's no further breakdown on software versions.

Here's more info on the software and hardware ibiblio runs:
http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/infrastructure.html
" Given ibiblio's focus on open source software and public domain content, open source solutions are employed whenever possible. As mentioned above, the servers run Linux (or GNU/Linux if you prefer), mainly RedHat. Application software includes:"

* Apache
* ProFTPD
* MySQL
* PostgreSQL
* Mailman
* Icecast
* Tomcat
* php
* Perl
* OpenSSL
* mod_SSL
* LVS (Linux Virtual Server)
* keepalived
* Nagios
* Cricket

Here are locations of ibiblio documentation that this project might need if a
relationship is established with them:

About ibiblio
http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html

Systems Central
http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/

ibiblio Collection Criteria
http://www.ibiblio.org/collection.html

Contributor's FAQ and Visitor's FAQ
http://www.ibiblio.org/faq/

* SUGGESTED NAME CHANGE
<*>
[BTW I just noticed that ibiblio hosts the "Open Video Project".]

Perhaps the name of our project could be revised this way:

permaculture.info
The Open Permaculture Project
An open library of plants, permaculture and their relationships
<*>

And just to clarify, I offered my server as a working Zope prototype, not
as the official store for all permaculture.info content. Having the Zope
instance hosted anywhere at this point allows for the collection of
Apache/Zope server statistics and use patterns. Collecting this data will
serve as a hard metric for required server capacity planning in future
endevours. I anticipated at least a six month window before ibiblio could
deploy Zope effectively.

I decided to inquire further about this timeframe and emailed Fred about it,
fwiw:

<>