pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] platform

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] platform
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:26:26 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Ok to add to the tallies we have afaik:

1) Use Zope and 'damn the torpedoes'. Start on arashi and move to
ibiblio when they get a Zope server running or buy space at
johncompanies or some such if ibiblio doesn't.

Find out if and when ibiblio will have a Zope server with or without
supplemntal funding from us. If they definitely will (one way or another)
within a year then start work on arashi but get the account set up on ibiblio
and begin hosting permaculture.info there and not on arashi;
simply link to the prototype database at arashi. Continued access to funding and use of the permaculture.info domain would be contingent on this plus the eventual (but within a specified timeframe, like as soon as Zope exists on ibiblio) complete transition of the database to ibiblio.

Chad
John H.
John S.

2) Use python with a ZODB backend as well as some Zope tools (like
Interface and Catalog) on ibiblio.

3) Use Eden but abstract the database interface so that we can
[hopefully] forward port to Zope in the future. This would also
be RDBMS agnostic allowing use of PostgreSQL, Firebird, MySQL,
Oracle, DB2, etc. interchangeably.

4) Use Eden/MySQL and 'damn the torpedoes'. Continue development
from the existing codebase.

Lawrence
Richard ?

2, 3 or 4 are my choices
reasons:
1) free ibiblio hosting
2) better product; I am skeptical of what can be done with Zope

I'd like for more input about this from folks esp. Richard on the
technical end, and from Stephanie and Scott if you have any ideas on
how to resolve/proceed here.

A minor point, but I'd like to point out that voting is not consensus.
A consensus decision is made when everyone is fully supportive of
decision and all of our decisions so far have been fully supported by
everyone. I'm not terribly attached to always using consensus process
but I'd like to point out that we are definitely split. Lawrence has
indicated that his need to have the project live at ibiblio met is a
necessary prerequisite for his participation in the project. My own

True.

opinion is that at this early stage of development making the best
choice technically is more important than the short term project

Short term project hosting? I thought we were talking about a (as far as
possible)
permanent home for permaculture.info, which I feel should be ibiblio.
Technically, of your four options above, without having much technical
expertise I still think that 2, 3 or 4
are a better choice than 1) Zope. This is mostly based on input from Rich. An
analogy that comes to mind:
Zope is to Outlook Express as options 2,3,4 are to Pine or even Mozilla email
client. I'm mostly guessing at this
but it is my impression anyway.

hosting. I don't think that I can address Lawrence's concerns any
further than I have and I am reluctant to move from my own position.

  • [pcplantdb] platform, Chad Knepp, 08/13/2004
    • Re: [pcplantdb] platform, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/14/2004