pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:04:17 -0700 (PDT)

> Chad Knepp wrote:
>
>> Zope cons:
>>
>> o Not supported currently by our prefered ISP (ibiblio). If we
>> choose to not go with ibiblio we would loose support from
>> Lawrence.
>
> The main reason I would opt to make my contributions elsewhere (with
> regrets)
> if HG isn't done on ibiblio is:
> 1) Cost, time and trouble if not on ibiblio
> 2) Its a blind alley as I see it; I can't invest a lot of trust in where
> the project might
> go/end up if we don't host on ibiblio - I fear intrusion into HG by some
> used car salesman
> who might get enough control to haul it off to parts unknown to do with it
> what he/they will.
> For my money it is safe and sound on ibiblio and with NP support from the
> Permaculture Institute,
> for the long haul. This frees us to work on platform and data acquisition
> - which is what we are the most interested in anyway.

I hope that your reference to "used car salesman" is not in reference to
my offer to host Zope until the logistics of ibiblio hosting is
solidified. Sometimes, I have a hard time discerning your intent from your
e-mail's tone, Lawrence.

> I'd like to think that I would have significant contributions to make to
> HG over time; that means text data, photos, videos and sound files;
> all original stuff from me. I'd much rather be part of a permaculture
> _database_ project than just create a permaculture wiki and website.

It would appear to me that there is still some need to solidify the design
of the application currently envisioned and to establish a consensus on
the platform(s). It might behoove us all to revisit the deployment
architecture.

> I hope you all can find a way to work on ibiblio.

The primary issue appears to be the serving of content off a NFS store. If
multiple Zope instances access a ZopeDB stored on NFS, then corrupting of
the database is highly likely. A dedicated raid system might be in order,
or researching the Zope architechture to ensure multiple instances of Zope
do not corrupt the ZopeDB.

I would be curious to see how the data-structire will be stored ( what
exactly? ), or perhaps Zope serves as a meta-database on top the core
mysql db? Somethings to reflect upon... maybe reverse store object
references in mysql? Speaking of mysql, which version is in production @
ibiblio?

And just to clarify, I offered my server as a working Zope prototype, not
as the official store for all permaculture.info content. Having the Zope
instance hosted anywhere at this point allows for the collection of
Apache/Zope server statistics and use patterns. Collecting this data will
serve as a hard metric for required server capacity planning in future
endevours. I anticipated at least a six month window before ibiblio could
deploy Zope effectively.

I definitely can *not* host all intended content on the scale as infered
in previous posts, especially streaming media.