pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] platform revisited
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:41:27 +0000

Aloha,

Not doing this on ibiblio will cost us a lot of money. For its heavy traffic, ibiblio relies on
special "industrial" rack-mounted servers costing as much as $10000 each and I don't think this figure includes hard drives.

Skip the scare tactics please.
By now I'm extremely well aware of your position on ibiblio and I am pissed off that you keep hammering and hammering on it.

We should squirrel away grant dollars to pay professionals to do this work.
If none of use are available then it might be possible to contarct with ibiblio to have that done -
they often hire and train UNC student "apprentices" to do work of this sort.

So which do you want - professionals, or student apprentices?

Forget that. We will have to get our own grants independently of ibiblio. I feel certain about this.

I support asking ibiblio about this directly.
I do not support Lawrence speaking for ibiblio, because he is not ibiblio.

I am gone starting now through August 18th.

John S. out