pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:30:07 +0000

Aloha,

Still trying to workout what the difference between
application server (zope) and a content managment system (plone? or others) is.

Plone and CMF (Content Mgmt Framwork) and Silva and so on (zope-based CMFs/CMSs) are built using zope - zope is their app server.
In short, they are very complex and sophisticated zope products.

Even using zope there are many things we will need to write
(which others have done before). We will basically need to write our own content managment system.

Yeah, a DB is always some sort of CMS.
CMF or others might provide some tools we can use fairly directly.
I don't know them well enough to be sure.
Looked into Plone back at 1.1 but it was not mature enough to suit me. Haven't had time to look at 2.x yet.