nafex - Re: [NAFEX] curculio enemies?

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] curculio enemies?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:44:41 -0500

I spread sheets under our big Japanese plum and tried tapping and shaking several times over 2 sunny hot days, and got a total of 11 curculio. I am baffled. This is the 3rd mild spring in a row, (it's almost enough to fool the innocent into planting fruit trees), and I would think the curculio population would be huge. I can remember shaking down 120 of them one year in a 2 day period. Why so few? It's plenty hot enough for them to come out of the ground. If curculio have natural enemies, it would take several years of steady prey population to let them build up. Or is it the dry weather? I know that Jap beetles will stay in the ground in dry weather waiting for rain. Maybe what the curculio are waiting for is a rainy spell that will prevent me from spraying with Surround. They are luring me into thinking I don't need to spray, knowing that the stuff will actually stay on as long as the weather is dry. They are so diabolical.... Any comments? I suppose you all in real fruit country see steady curculio populations year after year, plenty to destroy entire crops on unsprayed trees, right? Donna