nafex - Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:13:12 -0400

mIEKAL:

First- Don't be shy about pruning mulberries.  I have several that I've pruned to the ground with a lawn mower dozens of times, and they keep coming back.

I've been working on keeping mine headed off to weakened leaders15-20 feet tall, so birds can harvest the top half.  The birds are going to take a share, and they prefer to stay higher up and away from predators.

The espalier idea seems possible, I have trained a couple of mulberries into a fan shape without any artificial support.

Someone on this list posted some instruction for training normal varieties of mulberries to a weeping shape by pruning all upward growth.  If you search the email archives you should find it- it was only about a year ago.