nafex - Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:24:29 -0400

Every one that I've seen planted here in Michigan has been grafted,
and died after 1-3 years in the ground. Unclear as to whether it can't
handle the cold, or is graft incompatible to white mulberry. I'm
suspicious, since I've never heard anyone say "I've got a ten year old
Geraldi dwarf and it's doing great!!"

The berries, or rather berry that i've tasted from one was very good
though. Not as good as Morus nigra, but better than 90% of the Morus
alba's I've sampled. If you want to plant it, I'd say plant the graft
below ground to see if you can get it to root, protect it during
winter, and pray.

-matt
z5 se MI