nafex - Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:57:08 -0500

My partner & I just bought a new 40 acre place to start a vineyard & winery, which is to say I have a lot of space for experimentation. I've never made wine with mulberry before, so this is definitely not on my tried & true list. But I love making wine with deep purple fruit. My aronia wines have been turning out very nice.

I'm certainly open to trying other varieties & even the wild which I've never seen in my area & not even sure what that would be. A lot of folks around here plant the Russian mulberries but I'm not a fan of them, they really don't ripen well for me & they have a very herby flavor.

& quite truthfully I kinda doubt that Illinois Everbearing will make it thru a true Wisconsin winter. We'll see.

~mIEKAL