nafex - Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] training mulberries
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:11:28 -0500

My partner & I just bought a new 40 acre place to start a vineyard & winery,
which is to say I have a lot of space for experimentation.

I was just surprised that you'd want a mulberry that is known for having such an extended ripening season. I would have thought you'd want them ripening all at once.

I'm certainly open to trying other varieties & even the wild which I've never seen
in my area & not even sure what that would be. A lot of folks around here plant the
Russian mulberries but I'm not a fan of them, they really don't ripen well for me &
they have a very herby flavor.

I meant the red mulberry, Morus rubra, which grows like a weed around here. They're often very good tasting, but that's variable. You can't plant a seedling and know for sure it's going to taste great.

I've always loved them, but I wanted to plant something I knew would taste good. But I've had a hard time getting other mulberries to survive here. It's funny, because birds plant the wild mulberries everywhere, and they're hard to kill.

There are white mulberries around here, too - and lots of crosses, I'd guess - but they're not as good as the red mulberries.

PS. You asked about the Geraldi Dwarf Mulberry. I bought mine from Edible Landscaping (because that was the only place I could find them):

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/plants.php?func=view&id=179

But the first one didn't survive its first winter. I planted a replacement last fall, and it's still alive (though it's still just a twig).

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--