nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:01:00 -0500

Note that "Mirabelle" is a class of plums rather than a cultivar, and normally it is qualified as in "Mirabelle de Nancy" etc.

They suffer from the same carelessness of nomenclature in North America as "Damson."

Perhaps one might describe them as "Prunus insititia for fresh eating" although I have the impression from reading that they are often also well regarded for cooking; tarts etc.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

mIEKAL aND wrote:
So far the only place I found that sells Mirabelle is Raintree.
Anyone know of other nurseries? I wasn't very happy with my last
purchase from them.

~mIEKAL