nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:54:19 -0500

Caren, my comment about an apricot crop 2 years in 5 was based on what
Ken Taylor told me about his experiences on Ile Perrot. He has a lot of
his stuff on a sand hill which tops out about 100 feet above the
terrain, very exposed but with excellent air drainage.

Apricots bloom early and with short dormancy requirements are easily
suckered by late winter warm spells. A good planting spot is sheltered
from low-angle late winter afternoon sun. It also helps to paint as much
of the tree as you can with interior (least toxins) white latex to keep
it cool; mulching roots may also help a bit.

Westcot (selected later and reportedly the more reliable cropper) and
Morden 604 were bred at Morden, Manitoba in Agriculture Canada zone 3b.

Is your Mirabelle one that was bred in Quebec or has been there for a
while, and have others in 4b had success with it?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Caren Kirk wrote:

[snip]

Doug thanks for the advice, I adore apricots but seem to rememebr someone on NAFEX commenting that I could probably plant one up here but I would never get fruit, so I haven't been brave enough to try one, especially after this spring's losses. One mustn't give up but one does need the cash to keep planting!

As for plums, I can't wait to try fresh ripe plums off my own Mirabelle that I planted this spring. OK, it's got to survive ( it should be hardy enough), and will take a few years to fruit I know, but one must have hope!

Fruit optimists of the North unite!

Caren (Ag Can 4b)