nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:45:28 -0500

Caren, the small juicy yellow plums flushed with orange red from Ontario would be Early Golden, a chance seedling from Fonthill (high sandy fruit growing area in the central Niagara Peninsula) found in 1946. It's suspected to be a complex cross of Japanese plum and one or two others, probably not including P. domestica or P. insititia. The tree is large and vigourous. I would not bet on it surviving zone 4, or 5 for that matter.

Many nurseries in many places are lax about naming, and generally don't care much. Many don't seem to feel any ethical obligation to retail customers. I have known wholesale nurseries very careless about trueness to name.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Caren Kirk wrote:
Claude and Doug,

I know sometimes nurseries are very lax about naming. Here around the Montreal region, there are many nurseries selling a "Mirabelle" plum, the cultivar itself not being specified. Most of the nurseries list it as Ag Can Z4, so suitable for my region.

In late summer we have a lot of farmer's markets and supermarkets selling baskets of small juicy yellow plums flushed with orange red from Ontario. I always assumed they are a Mirabelle type, or they could be Reine Claudes I suppose. Fully ripe, I find them a particularly tasty treat. Hopefully my tree will produce similar fruit.

I am a definite newbie but interested in learning. So thanks for the interesting discussion.

Caren
St. Jerome, QC

[snip]