nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 01:55:37 -0500

Claude, is your Mirabelle of decent quality, and suitable for fresh eating?

I would be surprised if some of the settlers of New France had not planted seeds of Mirabelles from France. I would also have expected them to try grafted trees from France at some point.

Stanley is a shade hardier than Mount Royal (though liable to black knot, and from my limited observation not very good quality on peach soils at least for fresh eating) and if I remember rightly it came from a cross between Prune D'Agen and Grand Duke; (I forget the direction) i.e. old European plums.

But also, around 1985 I observed in an old plum orchard in the Niagara Peninsula, several trees with small, round, rather bland fruits of various colours including yellow, which I deduced were sprouts from rootstocks of perhaps St. Julien, where the tops of commercial cultivars had died. And (for the benefit of the newbies), damsons, Mirabelles, and the St. Julien rootstocks are subgroups of Prunus insititia of Europe.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario