nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:15:48 -0500

Doug,
Yes my Mirabelle is of quite good quality, and I would say more than just "suitable" for fresh eating when well ripe. The racoons are also very found of it so I usually have to harvest a bit before full maturity. It ripens about a week later than Mont-Royal.

Next year I intend to take close-up pictures of the flowers and count the stamens - I read in Plums of NY that P.insititia have a different number of stamens than P.communis, so hopefully this test should confirm if it is really a Mirabelle. If you want, I could sent you a picture off list - I have a nice one with Mirabelle and Blue Damas side by side to compare sizes.

Claude