nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:14:24 -0600

mIEKAL and others Up North,
I have what is probably a Mirabelle, though I suppose it could just be St. Julien. I got mine from east TN where it appeared to be quite resistant to black knot. I sent it to Michael Pavelek who complained that it did get BK there, and who sent me a plum from western PA that he'd collected after the big BK epidemic that wiped out all the German prune plums that grew there. (This was several years before the sharka appeared in PA.) Neither seems to do well for me here, though the one did well in east TN. I am willing to share scions on one condition, that you take both. I want them to be preserved somewhere that they will crop and thus be appreciated. The TN plum is small and yellow, the PA plum was small and green, I suppose that makes it a greengage. Donna