nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:41:09 -0500

Bill, I'm really curious about your Am-Jap plums. David Ulmer recommended them to me and sent some scions, so I have a few vars topgrafted to a young Am plum. I hope to have some fruit next year. The crosses like Kaga sound really good. The other parent is supposed to be something rather apricot like. Do these plums crop well for you, and what do you think about them? Some are said to make monster trees. If I can find some kind of stone fruit that will both survive the late freezes and make good fruit, I might chop down all the other stone fruits and actually try keeping some chickens under them. Right now we just have banties running around, trying to confine them under a tree would require wire over the top, not possible and still get to the tree. a second mild spring has left a decent crop of Jap plums on the trees, but the curcuculios are taking care of them for me. It's been too wet to think of spraying Surround. Donna