nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:12:51 -0400

On May 25, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Lon J. Rombough wrote:

Trying to cross plums with apricots isn't easy. . .
In growing out seedlings of plumcots I almost never got any that had more than a slight hint of apricot in them. And the best bearing ones all came out indistinguishable from plums.
Crossing carefully chosen plums seems more practical in most conditions. There are a LOT of good plums that will give offspring as good or better than most pluots or apriums.
-Lon Rombough

The best peach I ever had was actually a nectarine. And the second best plum I ever had was actually a pluot. So I'm not sure I'd want to blanket ignore all those crosses just because they taste a lot like one parent or the other. (Of course, I'm not breeding new tree fruit. I barely have room for a fruit tree here or there. I certainly don't fault a breeder for trying stuff that seems easier.)

Ginda