nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northern Peach

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northern Peach
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:52:43 -0500

Jim,  Is this southwest injury or whatever they call it?  Where maybe last spring or the autumn before, you had  some warm sunny days and very cold clear nights, and that side of the tree sprang into action only to be frozen to death.  I saw it here in Tenn one time, someone showed it to me and told me what it was.  Best think about replacing the tree, but it will take it a good long time to die, and it may continue to be quite productive.  Even if it heals up the injury, the wood beneath will be weak if it rots, but it might be ok in your climate.   Put a few seeds of the tree near it, you can bud or graft them later if you want to keep the same.  As the new tree grows you can cut back the old one, keeping it in production.  It might be easier to just start one somewhere else as part of your gradual rotation of berries, and when the old tree declines you can put berries under it.    Donna