nafex - [NAFEX] High Density Planting

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] High Density Planting
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:57:40 -0400

Bill wrote: OK, keep in mind that I'm very much a newbie at this, Donna, and I was
experimenting with the Backyard Orchard Culture I found on the Internet...

http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/backyardorchard.html

Wow, interesting document, didn't realise you could get away with cramming trees so close together.

I too am pretty limited for space and am trying to grow a wide variety of fruit. I though I was crowding my apples in at 9ft apart but what is suggested in this document goes much further.

I wonder has anyone got much experience with this technique and what kind of success people have had. I imagine it's great for cross polination (as you can easily plant several varieties) and thus have greater fruit set, but are there any negative affects, for example stress on trees from close planting, faster disease and pest propagation, etc.

If anyone has any comments I'd be very interested.

Caren,
Quebec