nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:16:29 -0600

The New Jersey breeding programs are doing some crosses of aplicot with beach plum among others some of their crosses are at the Germplasm repository at Davis.

Martha

 Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

All the pluots I see marketed were bred for California's climate, but I bet it would be possible to breed them for other climates. Has anyone crossed apricots with hardier plums, like the Asian/American hybrid plums?

California has such great weather for fruit, it's a self-fulfilling prophesy that fruit breeders will create varieties optimized for that climate, and ignore other climates that are in greater need of new fruit varieties.

Melissa