nafex - Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:11:47 -0500

Here at Royal Oak Farm, we have planted over 2,000 apple trees using the high density tall spindle system where we space trees 3 to 4 feet apart.  Row widths can be as narrow as 6 feet apart for a backyard orchard.  Our row widths are 12 to 14 feet for equipment purposes.  To download the article that gives you a complete description of the tall spindle system, including training and pruning guide go to www.nyshs.org/fq/06summer/NYFQ%20Summer06.pdf    For a quick guide: http://www.newenglandvfc.org/pdf_proceedings/SpindlePlantingApplesNE.pdf.

The objective of tall spindle is high density, early fruiting and minimal pruning.  By following the Steve Hoying, Terence Robinson, and Mike Fargione Simplified Training Plan, any backyard grower can do it.  The article in the NYSHS quarterly is very complete and has a good photo of the training.

 Here's the system in a nutshell:

1) The tall spindle or Slender Axis systems appear to be the most profitable systems.

2) High tree density gives high early yield.

3) Highly feathered trees are the key to the systems.

4) Minimal pruning at planting (No heading the leader or tipping the feathers at planting)

5) Branch angle management. Bending feathers below horizontal at planting induces early cropping and limits branch size.

6) Branch caliper management. Ruthless removal of large branches keeps trees manageable. "Large branches create large trees"

7) "The best way of restricting vegetative growth is to produce apples."

Another article on the application of the system can be found at http://www.goodfruit.com/issues.php?article=2287&issue=87.

If anyone is interested on more information, contact me an I can e-mail you our 1 page training program with photo on branch bending.

1)The tall spindle or Slender Axis systems appear to be the
most profitable systems.
2)High tree density gives high early yield.
3)Highly feathered trees are the key to the systems.
4)Minimal pruning at planting (No heading the leader or
tipping the feathers at planting)
5)Branch angle management. Bending feathers below
horizontal at planting induces early cropping and limits
branch size.
6)Branch caliper management. Ruthless removal of large
branches keeps trees manageable. "Large branches create
large trees"
7)"The best way of restricting vegetative growth is to produce
apples."

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467