nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:05:40 -0500

Crossing carefully chosen plums seems more practical in most conditions. There are a LOT of good plums that will give offspring as good or better than most pluots or apriums.

The pluots I've eaten seem noticeably different from plums (a LOT sweeter, for one thing). But maybe I just haven't eaten enough plums. To be honest, I like plums better. Still, I have four plum trees, so I was looking for something different to try.

I actually wanted to try an aprium, too, but I couldn't find one that looked like it would do well in a colder climate. Well, my apricots rarely produce fruit here, since they bloom so early. (I'm not sure if apriums bloom that early or not, but I was more worried about their cold-hardiness.)

It hardly matters now. I've got the yard pretty well full, so I'm not going to be able to plant any other trees until something dies. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference. - Richard Dawkins