nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:17:26 -0700

Trying to cross plums with apricots isn't easy. Zaiger found the secret is to grow all the parent trees in greenhouses. If you cross apricot and plum outdoors you'll get perhaps one viable seed in fifty pollnations. When the temperatures can be held in a narrow range, as in a greenhouse, the rate goes up considerably, to perhaps one in ten (estimated). Then you have to grow the seedlings out and hope at least one will be decent AND will set a reasonable amount of fruit. I once grew Luther Burbank's "Purple" plumcot and the biggest crop I ever had was 13 fruits. Most of the flowers never set because the flower parts were distorted due to genetic abnormalities from crossing two such distantly related parents.
In growing out seedlings of plumcots I almost never got any that had more than a slight hint of apricot in them. And the best bearing ones all came out indistinguishable from plums.
Crossing carefully chosen plums seems more practical in most conditions. There are a LOT of good plums that will give offspring as good or better than most pluots or apriums.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/