nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

California has a wide range of climate conditions, though most of the breeding seems to go into heat resistance and low-chill requirements because most of the zone 4/5 land in the state is in National Parks and National Forests. The total amount of agricultural land there is actually very small when compared to most other agricultural states. They just grow more high-value crops and their labor costs are minimized by the huge number of migrant workers there. I can see no reason why other states couldn't follow suit. Even with short growing seasons most states should be capable of feeding their own populations.
Actually Western Washington has the best overall climate for fruit growing that I know of, unless you want to grow tropicals.