nafex - [NAFEX] Honeybees

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeybees
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 07:10:22 -0500

Here in North Central Minnesota, the Yellow Jacket population is way down. I haven't seen any Bald Faced Hornets and there are more Bumblebees than ever. They all seem to prefer Gooseberry flowers but there are also adequate pollinators in the pears and currants.
I have my own honeybees and most of them are foraging elsewhere but some do compete with the wild bees. Curiously, my honeybees tend to ignore plum flowers until after the wild bees forage on them for a few days. I suspect that the plum flowers don't produce nectar until late in their bloom. My own honeybees are the most help when the raspberries bloom as there is a thousand times too many flowers for just the wild bees to perform the task.
My apples are in the pink bud stage.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472