nafex - [NAFEX] Drinking Honeybees

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Drinking Honeybees
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 07:20:15 -0500

Naomi said, " I also see the honey bees drowned in the water buckets for the goats so I am sure they are honey bees."

When honeybees drink water, they are bringing the water back for the brood. To prevent them from drowning, I keep water in shallow pans with bricks and rocks because the bricks and rocks give them more to cling to when they are drinking than just the (usually slippery) rim of the pan. If you would do likewise, provide water for local honeybees, you might attract more pollinators to your orchard.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: