nafex - [NAFEX] How much should I thin fruit/flowers from a young Asian persimmon?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How much should I thin fruit/flowers from a young Asian persimmon?
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:26:10 -0400

I planted a potted Ichi Ki Kei Jiro that was about 2 feet tall in late
winter 2007. It grew well over the summer.

In the late summer of 2007, twig girdlers topped 2 feet off the tree
leaving a 3 inch stump. I pruned it back to the next lateral and
trained the lateral as a new leader.

This spring it is vigorous, looks happy and is COVERED with blooms! It
is only 3.5 feet tall.

Question: do Asian persimmons experience fruit drop? When and how much
should I thin the fruit (assuming the flowers set fruit)? OR given the
age and history, should I remove all flowers this year to improve the
long term health and vigor of the plant?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC