nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeybees

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeybees
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:52:17 -0500

For those of you who are not seeing bees yet, we have had a very cool month here in Tennessee. Our bamboo was nearly a month late in sprouting, and I just can't get squash and cucumber seeds to come up. You may find that your spring is running a bit slow too.
Following the Big Easter Freeze last year we had reduced numbers of paper wasps, very few yellowjackets at all, and zero baldfaced hornets. The giant hornets came through just fine though. This spring the paper wasps seem to be back in normal numbers, as the few nests we had last year were incredibly prolific, due to lack of competition I am sure. Don't know about the yellowjackets and hornets yet. Not too many bumblebees this year, but plenty of carpenter bees, of course. Donna