nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best apples article

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best apples article
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:18:36 -0500

I've heard we're too far south for some of those great Minnesota apples (Keepsake, Honeycrisp, although I did plant a Sweet 16.) ... But I think we're too far north for Fuji, Pink Lady.

They grow Pink Lady apples in Nebraska City, Mark. I called an orchard there and asked them about it (sorry, I don't remember which one - I just saw on the Internet that they grew that variety), and they said that they 'hadn't had any problems' with them ripening. I was very doubtful that they'd ripen here (still am, actually).

Unfortunately, I planted my apples before I discovered NAFEX. I tried to research different varieties on the Internet, finding those that were supposed to keep the best and be excellent eating apples. I didn't have a clue that our hot summers would matter at all, though I did know I was pushing the envelope for late ripening - in order to get good keepers. Well, I've always like green apples, too (as a kid, I liked green apples far more than ripe ones). And I wanted to get four varieties from the same nursery, with a dwarfing interstem, so that narrowed my choices.

I ended up planting Honeycrisp, Suncrisp, Goldrush, and Fulford Gala (I wanted to get at least one early apple). I'd never even seen a Suncrisp or Goldrush apple before, let alone tasted one. Heh, heh. Then, although I suspected it wasn't wise, I planted a Pink Lady, too. Well, it's a pretty little tree, anyway - looks just like a candelabra. None of these are old enough to produce apples yet, especially with our late freeze this spring, so who knows? (Well, I had four big apples on the Suncrisp, but three of them disappeared, so I picked the last one green. As I say, I like them green, too, with a little salt.)

Good luck,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The little shutter at the back of my mind, where I pushed all my dissonant thoughts, snapped open after the 9/11 attacks, and it refused to close again. I found myself thinking that the Quran is not a holy document. It is a historical record, written by humans. ... And it is a very tribal and Arab version of events. - Ayaan Hirsi Ali