nafex - [NAFEX] Apples & Apricots

  • From: "TIM INMAN" <TIM@HISTORICINTERIORS.COM>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apples & Apricots
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:38:01 -0500

Sorry for the spelling.  Yes, it would be Duane Mann that I'm referencing.  Hopefully, I'll get to meet him someday.  So far, I've just spoken on the phone with him.

I agree completely about the Chieftain!  Tasted my first last year, and WOW! was I impressed.  I have a grafted limb growing on one of my little trees right now - which came from the Frisk orchard, in fact!  Can't wait to get it over to a full tree and taste some of my own.  (Didn't have a rootstock of its own to put it on this past spring, so I just stuck it on an available tree to keep it alive.) Thanks for the scion.

I'm trying to grow a Hawkeye.  Deer have rubbed it off twice, so far, to knee height - so the going is slow.  Someday we'll be able to compare notes on it, maybe . . . .

Interstate Golden Giant Apricot update:  The graft took fine, and we have a tree that is about 36-inches tall as of now.  I'll have scion wood for sure with this season's good growth - if the deer don't get to it.  It is living inside a wire cage, so we should weather out fine.  Later on, I'll get back on scion wood and what to do with it.

  • [NAFEX] Apples & Apricots, TIM INMAN, 10/23/2007