nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:25:17 -0500

If Honeycrisps are ever to be accepted by the masses, they need to get real about the price.

I don't know. I suspect that it's part of their marketing plan to make them seem really special, compared to other apples. In my grocery story, they make a big deal out of the Honeycrisp - setting them in a separate location, waxed and polished, with a big sign and lots of room.

In my neighborhood, as well, they're too pricey to sell many, so I imagine this works best in wealthier parts of town. But even here, I imagine that people splurge occasionally by buying this really 'special' apple, rather than the cheaper apples available. You get what you pay for, right? :-)

Bill

--
Ask your child what he wants for dinner only if he's buying. - Fran Lebowitz