nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best apples article

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best apples article
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

I've had honeycrisp apples from many sources and I've
only had one bad one. But I've never had a great one
either and I suspect I never will. Honeycrisp is known
for being a great apple compared to other apples grown
in far northern areas. The University of MN has been
very clear in stating that it is one of the best
appples for growers in the northern limits of apple
growing range. I have never seen them claim that it is
a great apple compared to all other apples.
Nonetheless it is now being promoted and hyped
excessively by some growers, especially in parts of
New York state, far beyond anything that UM ever
intended, such as "the best apple ever". It's not even
in the ballpark for being the best apple ever. But it
will continue to be hyped by those who have financial
inetrests in it.

--- George Brinson <george.brinson@nf.sympatico.ca>