nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 07:07:17 -0400

Amanda Emily wrote:

2. Meetups and groups. I've attended, or rather have tried to attend many meetups and groups with an age group much older than I am. It may not be intentional, but the impression I've received is of "what is that young punk doing here in our group" (in those cases, it was with "friends of such-and-such park" groups). If someone younger shows up, don't give them grief and refer them to as the "babies of the group". It doesn't exactly feel very welcoming.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I don't believe being referred to as "new blood", "younger members", etc., has been derogatory...rather, it has been factual. I don't feel any slant. Even if we were referred to as "babies of the group" I wouldn't see it as grief given. I have truly never experienced a sentiment like "what is that young punk doing here in our group". Most, if not all, people I've met seem eager to share their knowledge and are happy to see new people take interest.